In January of this year Michael Girodo announced his resignation as Head of School, and in April announced his decision to move of out of his position at Jarrow as of June. The Board of Trustees committed itself to undertaking a thoughtful and inclusive search process for the next Head of School who shall lead Jarrow in carrying out its mission into the future. Knowing this process would take some time, the Board embraced an interim model and engaged Mary Zeman and Mercedes Dugan as Interim Head and Assistant Head of School.
The Board appointed a Search Committee to: engage with our community to gain their input at this important time; undertake a nationwide search; and identify and recommend the candidate most qualified to lead Jarrow as its new permanent Head of School.
Read more about the position here: Jarrow HOS Search
We respectfully request that resumes and cover letters be submitted by December 22nd. Please submit your materials to JarrowSearch@Jarrow.org.
If you have questions or comments about the search process, please contact Brooks Johnson, Committee Chair. firstname.lastname@example.org
UPDATES: Please click on links for updates on our search.
Head of School Search Committee
The Search Committee will lead the process of identifying Jarrow’s next Head of School. The committee is made up of a broad-ranging group of committed Jarrow community members including board members, administrative leaders, and faculty. The committee is dedicated to an inclusive search process whereby it will openly seek out and incorporate a healthy diversity of input and feedback from our school’s various constituents.
- Brooks Johnson (Committee Chair), Chair of the Board of Trustees
- Katy Merrill, Trustee Representative
- Keith Sambur, Trustee Representative
- Kristin Lawrence, Trustee Representative
- Kelley Ryan, Trustee Representative
- Jenn West, Trustee Representative
- Mary Zeman, Special Advisor, and Leadership Representative *(Interim Head of School)
- Mercedes Dugan, Administration Representative *(Interim Assistant Head of School)
- Michelle Frye, Trustee Representative
- Nina Lindeke, Faculty Representative
- Ted Steen, Trustee Representative
Head of School Search Process – Overview
STEPS COMPLETED (as of November 2017)
- Head of School search announced.
- Jarrow’s Board of Trustees selects and appoints the Search Committee.
- Develop the search process and outline the anticipated and strategic timeline.
- Launch a dedicated ‘search-information’ webpage on the Jarrow website for community reference.
- Engage with the Jarrow community (parents, staff, alumni, and students) to seek input into identifying the values and qualities desired by our community in our next Head of School.
- Announce and launch a community input/feedback survey. Convene staff input/feedback meetings.
- Create a formal Position Description.
- Identify where to post the Position Description; and Post.
ONGOING & NEXT STEPS
- Review candidate applications and develop and refine a pool of qualified candidates that most completely represent the desired qualities identified by the community.
- Interview strong prospective candidates by telephone and conduct preliminary on-site visits. Protect confidentiality and privacy of candidates.
- Refine the pool to a group of finalists.
- Invite finalist(s) to Jarrow for on-site visits to include meetings with the search committee, board members, school leadership, and administration; as well as sessions with staff and parents.
- Engage with community members for feedback on candidates.
- The Search Committee makes an official recommendation to the Board of Trustees with its selection of the most qualified candidate.
- Board of Trustees formally approves an Offer of Employment and the appointment of the New Head of School.
- New Head of School is officially hired.
- The Board of Trustees selects and appoints a Transition Committee which will work closely with Jarrow’s interim leadership team (Mary and Mercedes) and the new Head of School to facilitate a smooth and successful leadership transition.
- New Head of School begins employment at Jarrow.
Head of School Search – Community Survey
Dear Jarrow Community Member,
As we move forward with our Head of School search, we would welcome your input and thoughts. We are most interested in the values and leadership qualities you would like to see in our next Head. Feel free to reflect on what you appreciate most about Jarrow and how you think our new Head can help best carry out our mission.
Mission: “Jarrow Montessori School nurtures the development of the whole child through quality Montessori education. Our community supports each child’s joyful discovery of self in the journey to becoming a confident lifelong learner and compassionate citizen.”
The Search Committee sincerely thanks you for your participation in helping to inform the direction of our collective journey at this exciting and aspirational time of transition.
Jarrow’s Head of School Search Committee
CLICK HERE TO TAKE SURVEY: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/HOS-survey
What is the role of the Search Committee?
The Search Committee is responsible for submitting a recommendation for Head of School candidates to the Board of Trustees. To achieve the objective, the Committee will determine and oversee the search process, develop the school and position descriptions, and then interview and evaluate interested candidates. The Committee will use national best practices to guide the development and execution of the search and selection process, while also making this a process specific to the needs of our community.
How was the Search Committee formed?
The Executive Committee of the Board has appointed Board members to the Search Committee. In consultation with Mary Zeman, the Board also selected members of administration and faculty. The goal was to appoint individuals who represent a diversity of views and experiences within Jarrow.
Why a search process?
Aligned with national best practices, the Search Committee will post the position internally and externally for any interested candidates to apply. The Search Committee also established criteria in an effort to judge a candidate objectively and fairly and with input from all of our constituents.
How long will this process take?
Our goal is to have a candidate in place for the 2018-19 school year, but we will not rush the process to meet an artificial deadline given that we have secured commitments from Mary Zeman and Mercedes Dugan to serve in their current capacities for 2018-19, as necessary.
Are Mary or Mercedes interested in the position?
Out of love and deep commitment to Montessori and Jarrow, Mary and Mercedes agreed to guide the School in finding a new Head of School. It was never their intention to remain with the school for an extended period of time. We owe them a great deal of gratitude for their incredible service and dedication.
How can the Jarrow community help?
The input and feedback from our parents and staff are one of the most important first steps in this process. We have collected much feedback to date and there will be additional opportunities to provide feedback. Please look-out for a confidential online survey to better help with candidate evaluations. We are a small community and welcome direct feedback and inquiries from all of you. Please feel free to reach out at any time to discuss the search.
What is the role of the Board of Trustees in this process?
The Board of Trustees has three fundamental duties: 1) ensure the financial sustainability of the school; 2) adopt and actively support the achievement of the Mission and Strategic Plan of the school, and 3) hire & support the Head of School. In support of this third duty, the Trustees will monitor the progress of the Search Committee, provide strategic guidance as needed, meet with final candidates and ultimately vote for the Head of School candidate. The Board does not engage in the day-to-day administration of the school as a business or educational environment, nor does it hire or manage any employees of the school except for the Head of School.
What happens once a new Head of School is identified?
Mary and Mercedes will continue to serve as Jarrow’s Head of School through the 2017-2018 school year. Once a new Head of School is identified, a plan will be put in place to ensure a comprehensive and smooth transition between them and the new Head while respecting the position and needs of the new Head. The Board, Mary, Mercedes and the new Head will work together to create a smooth and successful transition for our community.